I wanted to make a connection between the process of producing/cutting new type and my poster. So I thought about words I could use on that poster that would fit this topic. Which words are possible with using just the letters «t o u c h». Since it was only a short run of posters, I could also use some letters twice, or flip them around to make a «n» with the «u» or even a «y» with the «h».
So I thought about short words like:
I used the wax-coating machine to start cutting and layouting my words. (Image 2 & 3) I really liked the words «hot» and «cut». Its something only type-nerds would say to each others: «Hey, did you see that very hot cut of that Vista Sans?» or «These legs of that capital R of that CNC-cut Vista Sans are veeeeery hot!» haha
This was the first moment when I really cut the type with a handsaw! I thought about it at least three times until I was really sure where exactly that first cut has to be. It was also important with the first cuts to leave enough «meat» for some more cuts…
I printed 6 colourruns of black type, always cutting the type into more and more pieces between the runs. Then I took a digital image of that poster as it was. I went to the computer to try out and add different other elements that could make that idea of that cut stronger – and even hotter! I started to add line elements that I could typeset and lock them on my press. I also added a bottom line, that could describe what that «hot cut» is all about.
So that’s a total of 10 colourruns on my poster, though it might look as if it was just black and some redtones. Nevermind, the process doesn’t count as the result – it only counts to get to the result… For me: If the result is good, the poster works. If the poster doesn’t look good, the process is not worth anything… haha. Please leave a comment here or on my webpage babyinktwice.ch – thanks.
I also uploaded a video of the printing process: VIMEO
The posters went out to Tricia and Ashely today! Hope they all get there very well. Thanks for inviting me to the project!